The Avon Canoe Pilot - Bristol Docks to Avonmouth.
Make a plan, mental or material.
Canoe from Underfall Yard to Bathurst Basin through the Floating Harbour.
Haul the canoe up the wall separating Bathhurst Basin and the New Cut.
Carry the canoe over Gaol Ferry Bridge and down to Gaol Ferry Slipway.
New cut gaol ferry bridge slipway.
Launch your canoe.
Cruise down the New Cut on the outgoing tide.
New cut bristol canoeing heath bunting.
Shoot the New Cut rapids.
Shoot the Cumberland Basin mini rapids.
Cruise down the Avon Gorge.
Take a break on the Horseshoe Bend beach.
Carefully navigate the swift shallows at Nelson's Point.
Contact Bristol VTS and report position and intention.
Moor up in the Swash Channel.
Wait for tide to turn and return to Bristol.
Take a break at the Adam and Eve Folly beach.
Contact Bristol Lock and report position and intention to enter the city lock.
Pass through the lock and canoe to Underfall Yard.
(If it appears you are going to be left outside the lock in the dark and rain
for over an hour then canoe up the New Cut and haul your canoe up the bank and
across the road adjacent to Underfall Yard.
(lw = low water, hw = high water).
- Make use of maximum current flow in river between lw+01:00 and lw+03:00. Get tidal information from harbour master on 0117 903 1484.
- Avoid river after heavy rains as hazard of ecoli infection. Water is less muddy during Neap tides, due to smaller currents. Get water quality information from harbour master on 0117 903 1484.
- Note that heavy rains cause high outgoing river current, neutralising incoming tidal current. Get current water level reading from netham weir on 0117 977 6590 (09:00-15:45 winter/ 07:00-21:30 summer). They will provide in centimeters the height above Netham Weir datum level (9.6m above cumberland basin datum level). Average summer level is 15cm, avergage winter level is 45cm, dangerous flood level average is 70cm.
- vhf radio
- dry bag.
- torch and spare batteries.
- map/ tide table.
- fist aid kit.
- mobile phone and spare battery.
- 10m 9mm rope.
- 2m 9mm rope.
- 10m 6mm rope.
- 20m 4mm rope.
- bucket and sponge.
- zip lock bags.
- 1l water bottle.
- rescue knife.
- spare plastic paddle.
- 2 x wooden paddles.
- 2m foot hazel mooring pole.
- 2 x bouancy aids.